Friday, August 17, 2007

CIA

The Bourne saga notwithstanding, I think that I'm going to give the CIA a try. I got the materials for application today, though it turns out that its for their degreed programs, which I'm not interested in. (Actually, I am, but there's no way I'm going to take a three year course there.) I'm going to take their one week Baking Boot Camp, and possibly (though probably not) their one week Pasty Boot Camp at another time.

I am also going to do more baking, in a somewhat structured manner. I picked up the local library's copy of Baking At Home with the Culinary Institute of America; I'm going to make a series of breads and cakes from their collection. It won't be anywhere like what they give you at the course, but it'll give me the chance to play around a bit. I just have to make sure that there are people willing to actually eat this stuff afterward. I'm not sure exactly what I'm going to make -- I have my eye on the Raisin Cinnamon Bread, and the Sourdough, and I know that I want to make a couple of sweet breads, but past that, I don't know yet. I'm sure that the holidays will provide me with the opportunity and the motivation to do baking, too -- perhaps I should say Baking, as in pies, tortes, challah, etc, as distinct from baking, which to my mind is cookies and such. I'm also getting an interlibrary loan of Baking and Pastry: Mastering the Art and Craft, just to see what thats like. Its the book they use in that course.

Should be fun.

No comments: