Sunday, May 28, 2006

Working

I don't know, at the moment, if the company to whom I sent my resume will want to fly me out to their offices for an interview. At a guess, I'd say its about 55 percent likely that they will, or odds-on. The funny thing is, I'm not sure that I want to leave where I am now.

Part of that is the dental thing I've mentioned. I would very much like them -- or their insurance, rather -- to pay for whatever of it that they can. (And have you ever known a doctor or dentist who actually charged what insurance companies consider 'Usual, Customary, and Reasonable'? ) I have the financial resources to be able to handle that myself, if need be, but I'd rather not.

And since the audit nonsense is dying down a bit, its not quite as onerous a place as it was. Still not delightful, in that regard, but not quite as much 'I think I'm going to scream' as it was, a few weeks ago.

Financially, it'd be better to stay, too. In fact, I mused once that if this other company paid me half again as much as I'm making now, and asked me to travel two weeks a month, I'd probably say no. Truth is, I like it at home. I don't so much want to travel as want to have traveled. And the prospect of the surly service that US (and others?) air carriers are specializing in fills me with dismay.

But the biggest thing is that I don't want to leave the software project undone. I know its very complicated, and I know that there is much anguish still to come in it, in areas which I don't even suspect -- but it has actually begun to work, in a very small way. I don't want to bail out on it until it actually is working. It may be the last big thing I ever work on, and I'd like to get it done. Or at least to a point where it was clear that it worked. (Personally, I don't think its going to make all that much difference to the way that this account operates. It should, but I doubt that it will.)

So thats what I'm thinking about, when I'm not in dental denial.

No comments: