Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Summary

Well, I had the telephone interview with the company, and it was a bit of a strange experience. The phone connection wasn't too good == it almost sounded like a moving cellphone == so that was a bit of an impediment. The conversation started well but seemed to stall when I said that I wasn't willing to move to Nevada or California. But we kept talking, and I kept telling them stories about things that I've done (only afterward did I realize that every one of the stories was making a point). After a while things seemed to open up. They flat-out said that they do not have openings in the group I'm looking at, but they were expecting some sudden increases in the amount of things that group does, so possibly something would open up. While on the one hand it would have been nice if they'd been overwhelmed, it was a generally positive experience. Just doing it was fun -- I'm not a very adventurous person, so actually talking to someone about changing jobs was a bit of an adventure in itself.

Just before they called, I received a cheerful automated call from Dell informing me that it would be at least two weeks until they shipped that camera I bought. They offered to refund my money but I think I'll take the chance and hang loose, as the price I paid was low enough so that the extra memory card -- which arrived yesterday -- was essentially free. If I were the power negotiator that I read about, I'd be able to call them and get something out of this delay -- but I won't.

Today I get to go in, talk about audit stuff, and do some more on that product I've been working on. The rosy glow from last Friday has pretty much faded -- though I am bringing one of those roses my wife gave me in to the office -- but I'm still in an optimistic mood about it. Amazing what a success will do for you.

I've been reading the War book I have mentioned over on the sidebar. It's interesting stuff, though I have a real problem accepting its basic premise, which is that you should always be on guard and ready to attack. The parts I like talk about strategies used by various people in difficult situations, some military, some not, and those are pretty interesting. I haven't read much more in the dragon book -- I like it, and its well written, but its kind of a rainy-day book, for a period when you can settle down and submerge yourself in a book. Haven't had much time like that lately.

And so the day begins!

No comments: