Saturday, May 20, 2006

Recipes

I'm not much of a cook, but I like recipes. I've noticed that I tend to gravitate to dessert recipes, which frequently sound good to me just reading through them -- its almost as if I can taste the mmmmmm through reading about what goes into it and how you put it together. I'll even read those articles about 'secret recipes' even though I really don't care how the 'secret batter' for Kentucky Friend Chicken or whatnot is made. It just sounds good. As for my own stuff, the recipes that I'll make are usually not complex; about as challenging a recipe as I will try is normally something that involves melting chocolate over here while something is getting ground up in the food processor over there. I recently found a recipe for chocolate chip cookies that sounds suspiciously like the one in the classic Neiman-Marcus cookie story, but this one has cinnamon and lemon juice along with the oatmeal and other ingredients; I'm hoping to try it tomorrow. Tonight, though, was a fool.

Now a fool, as you may know, is a cold dessert made of whipped cream and fruit puree. My daughter had some as part of a cooking class (ahem: Family and Consumer Science), and she liked it enough to write down the recipe and bring it home. It looked good, and she was really excited about making it, so this morning, we added a lime and a mango to our normal shopping list, and this afternoon, she and my wife made it. While the making was a bit stormy -- she hadn't written in anything about merging the cream and the pureed fruit, and my wife insisted that it must happen or the dessert would be in two parts -- it mostly went well, and after dinner (an excellent chicken and sausage cacciatore; thats one of those meals that I cringe, thinking about, and really like when it arrives; I've told my wife that if she is planning on making that, just ignore any comments I make before the event) she and my wife brought the fool out -- a large, creamy, pudding like bowlful.

Did you know that mangos are very stringy?

2 comments:

Rach said...

Yum .. the Fool sounds like a nice summery dessert.
Another thing about mangos .. they're annoying to peel .. to slimy.

Cerulean Bill said...

I wasn't in the blast zone while this was going on. I won't say I was reading in the bedroom, humming quite loudly to myself, but..umm....I only knew something was not quite copacetic when the offstpring stormed down the hall and slammed her door.