Friday, May 05, 2006

Mowndelawn

That was me out there last night, around 6, mowing the lawn. And this morning at 7:30, mowing the lawn. And again at noon. And at around four. The stuff in front was the highest, around six feet (okay, not really, but high -- about three inches), but some of the stuff in back was pretty shaggy, too. When we bought the house, we borrowed a friends mower to do the lawn -- it hadn't been mowed in about three weeks at that time, during prime growing season. We cut so much that we had to have the blade sharpened before we returned the mower.

We did this in four passes because it was heavy going. The mower was basically exhausted by the end of each of the first two passes. The third, I did because I was working from home, I needed a break, and it certainly needed to be done. And the last was because I'd saved a flat spot for my daughter to try out her mowing skills. Umm...not quite yet. She liked it, though.

I hadn't remembered what a pain doing this can be, or how much satisfaction you can get when its done.

4 comments:

Sweeti said...

I bet you feel sorry for me now, we have almost 4 acres to mow once a week. Sure we have a rider but you still have to mow to main yards by hand to keep things manicured. Whew!

Cerulean Bill said...

Four acres? Good lord. I'd want one of those swing-arm deals that the farmers use that stretch our twenty feet in each direction from the tractor ...and even with that rider, I bet it takes a loooong time.

Rach said...

Throw the headphones on, crank the music, put a little kick into your walk and I bet you'll have a great time. :) You'll make the neighbours curious too. hee!

Seriously tho .. that's way to much work for me. And Sweetilicious with 4 acres .. Oy!

Cerulean Bill said...

I am looking for some of those noise-cancelling headphones so that I can use them at work, where sometimes the people get a tad rambunctious. Not horsing around, but lots of loud laughter and running jokes. I'm not a serious guy, but sometimes I need quiet to work, and those would help. I'd use them mowing, too, though the cordless electric mower is quieter than a gas powered one. Not silent, not a muted murmur, but quieter. My wife says it sounds like someone mowing a couple of houses away.

Alas, I've only seen two or three good noise-cancelling headsets advertised (good as determined by the cost), and the reviews uniformly say they work but not as well as you'd think, given the price. One (the Bose one, I think) doesn't even have the ability to jack into a standard portable music player. For $300, you'd expect Yo Yo Ma to come along, at least for the first month. Not even being able to play your treasured old Ventures tapes -- well !