Monday, May 29, 2006

Pictures

It's Memorial Day -- a fine, sunny day. We've been collectively up since about a quarter to seven -- that would be me, then my daughter about twenty minutes later, and my wife a half hour after that. In a little while, they're going out to a fabric store to get material with which to do a sewing project. I know that sewing is frequently part of a girl's life, but I'm still surprised that people can take cloth and make clothing out of it. I'm glad she can. My wife says that when she was a kid, it was common for her and her sisters to sew -- partially out of necessity, and partially because her parents worked in a dress factory and knew a lot about it. (That whole generation seems to have had an ability to move easily between disparate mileus that I wish I had. Her father worked in the dress factory until he and a brother decided to open a restaurant -- and so they did, successfully, for decades.)

I woke intermittantly during the night, thinking about this dental problem. To my mild delight, the adhesive I applied yesterday hasn't given way, though I think it will today. I've had occasion to use things like this in the past, and it seems that their forecasts of how long the stuff will work are usually vastly overstated. I foresee a week of not eating much, and that, mostly soft things. Could be worse.

I read an article today from the weekend paper about the divergent styles of the characters in comic books these days. The one that got me was Batwoman, who I remember as a fairly useless add-on to the Batman and Robin series (the article mentions her in roughly the same breath as other add-ons such as Bat-Mite and such). Apparently, she's changed -- the description says "In her latest incarnation, Batwoman is a wealthy, buxom lipstick lesbian...." I know most of those words, but I don't know what a 'lipstick lesbian' is. (I'm sure that Google would be glad to enlighten me.) She used to look as if she were going to a fancy-dress masquerade ball. Here's what she looks like now.
I don't believe I'd want to mess with her.




Speaking of images, this one caught my eye -- an ad that the New York Times presented on my way into the article. I could be reading too much into it (it's an ad for Ford, incidentally), but what it says to me is that girls can be both casual and smart. I don't see enough of that.

No comments: