Saturday, May 27, 2006

Mown

I just came in from doing the second pass of mowing. We have to do it in two passes because the mower, which is a cordless electric one, doesn't hold enough charge to do the whole lot. It said it would do a third of an acre, but our take is that this is a third of a flat acre that's been recently mowed, and you've got the mower set at high elevation. But thats okay, in a way, because it effectively means that we don't spend more than 35-40 minutes at a throw doing this. I'm not one to enjoy that sort of thing. Thoughts of 'we should pave this' and 'wouldn't a pool look good right here' and 'what is overgrown, anyway?' drift through my mind pretty quickly.

But now its done, so I won't have to do it again for four or five days.

We did some things today that we wanted to -- went out to the used bookstore, which incidentally delighted my daughter, who found about five books that she wanted in the five ten minutes; when she found that they were about fifty cents each, she was thrilled. And we went to a high-end cooking store, mostly just to poke around. They have nice things, and I almost always say Gee, that would be nice to have - and then I look at the price and carefully put it back. Not much there is in my range, but its fun to look at -- sort of like looking at the physical manifestation of recipes. Speaking of which, after dinner, my wife is going out to pull some weeds, and I'm going to try my hand at that pizza dough recipe. (Sage, call ahead next time you're in the vicinity and we can make one together.But be warned -- I'm a pretty plain thinker when it comes to pizza -- about as laden as my pizza will get is pepperoni and pineapple, and occasionally black olives. I am not a California Pizza Kitchen kind of guy -- no ham, no anchovies, no any of the hundred and four other toppings they have. Plain, thats my motto.)

Rach, I haven't read yet, but I'm hoping to do some with dinner. I did pick up a book at the used bookstore -- a novel by Allen Drury. I know now that he isn't a 'great' writer, but thats okay -- I don't want great writers, I want comfortable ones, and AD is comfortable to me -- reading him reminds me of the days when I thought that national politics was predominantly peopled by men and women of integrity and intelligence, and the good guys nearly always won. Would that it were so now.

I've been having some dental problems -- a bridge that I'd had put in about four years ago feels a bit loose, so that I get a slight ka-click feeling when I bite down. I need to have someone look at that. I've thought for years that I have dentures in my future, and now I find that its possible to have dental implants put in to anchor a bridge. I'm going to see if thats possible. I'm sure it will be way expensive, which is why I should look into it now --before my Big Company high-option dental insurance runs out.

But right now, I think I'll just slouch down and read a bit.

1 comment:

Rach said...

Sounds like you had quite the day. I certainly would be getting that bridge checked out, but then again .. I'm always so willing to see any doctor with all problems that arise.

Did you get to immerse yourself into your new book? Reading is exactly what I have planned later this morning. I find it being a treat these days.