Saturday, May 13, 2006

Trust

I was just leafing through some web sites when I came across one that was a summary of commentary about world events. The style was sober and unprovocative. The header said that the site was " trusted, unbiased source on technology, business, law, science, and culture that’s authored by leading commentators and thinkers in their respective fields". I started reading one of the articles, and then I thought: In a world wherein seems that everyone spins the news, is anyone 'trusted and unbiased'? Of the cuff, the only one I could think of was the Christian Science Monitor, whose web sites I read on occasion. And I guess even they aren't totally unbiased. Yet I do believe what they say -- I don't get the feeling that they slant what they write. Whereas if I were to read something by an organization that's strongly conservative (and yes, the phrase 'rabidly conservative' was what first came to mind) I find myself shaking my head, skimming as I wonder how anyone can believe that stuff. It's the same news as presented in the CSM -- and yet its not. So does that mean that, like the filtration of light, we regard people as unbiased if their bias is in line with our own, but biased if its not?

Probably not an original thought.

No comments: