Friday, May 12, 2006

Distracted

When I was a kid, I used to believe that if you had the characteristics of someone who was successful, then you would be successful. I don't mean characteristics of the type found in self-help books, I mean the kind that are really incidental. For example, I was impressed with people who could take notes really fast. I thought that if I took notes really fast, I would be more capable as a student. So I would -- only my notes were just random scribbles on the page -- they looked like hieroglyphics. And I KNEW this wasn't good enough-- but still, I thought, hey, my notetaking sounds just like the note taking of people who are good at it, so therefore I am good at it. I know, I know -- but thats what I thought.

I still have some of that attitude in me. I still can read a book where someone can do something I cannot, and wish I could, and for just a short period I find myself thinking well, maybe I can do that. Doesn't matter if its in any way realistic, I think that. Read about someone who built their own house? Hey, maybe I could do that. Someone who taught themselves French? Hey, maybe I could do that. Attend medical school, be a helicopter pilot, learn to debug networks, cook a great meal, become a sterling portrait photographer? Hey...

I feel silly once I come back down after these flights of fancy -- I think they're ways of avoiding reality -- but even then, I wonder: Could I?

6 comments:

Rach said...

Didn't your parents tell you "you can do anything you put your mind to" ? I don't think they're silly flights of fancy .. not if you really want it and work at it. :)

Cerulean Bill said...

Rach, if you were here, I'd give you some of our home-made chocolate cake. Your family, too.

Rach said...

I bet it would be delish too, but darn that 21 day self challenge. I'd have to turn it down. :(

Wow .. did I say I'd have to turn down chocolate cake? *wiping drool off the keyboard*

Cerulean Bill said...

No prob. Remind me later.

Tabor said...

I agree with Rach--you can do 90% of the stuff you want to do. The trade off is sacrifice in time and being patient with yourself and careful planning how you will use that time. Now get out in the back yard and go build that rocket!

Cerulean Bill said...

Ok, T, cake for you, too !