Friday, May 05, 2006

Cook, Read, or Both?

I like to bake, and sometimes I like to cook. I'm okay as a baker, and somewhat less as a cook. My wife would say I'm a good cook, but she's generous.

This evening I came across a site with an interesting premise. The site is 101Cookbooks, and here's what it says about itself:

The premise this site was built on is best summed up in two sentences: When you own over 100 cookbooks, it is time to stop buying, and start cooking. This site chronicles a cookbook collection, one recipe at a time.

101 Cookbooks started in early 2003 when I looked up at my huge cookbook collection one afternoon and realized that instead of exploring the different books in my collection - I was cooking the same recipes over and over. I seemed to buy a new cookbook every time I stepped out the front door - always with good intentions. I would regularly go through my collection of books and magazines and carefully tag each recipe that piqued my interest. I ended up with shelves full of books brimming with Post-it notes and drawers full of recipes clipped from my favorite magazines - neatly organized by course, flavor, region, or ingredient.

I made a resolution (although it turns out that I wasn't very good at keeping it). I would stop buying cookbooks, or at least scale back, and start trying new recipes. In the process I hoped to learn new techniques, explore unfamiliar ingredients, discover/keep track of new recipes, document my successes and failures, and hopefully inspire other cooks to do the same.

I think it's pretty good.

2 comments:

Sweeti said...

Good find Bill! I'm gonna be surfin this site for awhile and lovin every minute!

Rach said...

I should have known better then to click on that link. Ahhhh *runs screaming from the computer* lol
I didn't realize my saliva glands could shift into overdrive like that.
When I'm NOT watching the waist line, I shall return and check out some of those recipies. The one on the front page looks devine. *drool*