Saturday, May 20, 2006

Thinking about Condi

I don't know if its driven by the approaching mid-term elections, but I think there is a rising tide of negative commentary about Bush's performance. I'm a little surprised by that, because, although I am not a fan of his, I don't think he's gotten appreciably worse. His appointment of the former television newsman to be his official spokesman is no more egregious than the person he selected for FEMA, after all. He isn't pushing faith-based initiatives any more (though I think the concept is still in use), and he hasn't offered more tax cuts while spending more. Granted, his comments about immigration open up a new area of discussion, but they are not, per se, worse than anything he's said about other areas. I'm not proud of him, or even pleased with him, but I've gotten the attitude that he's the town fool, so what can you expect? At least he's lowered the bar for what someone has to do in order to look like a viable candidate.

But what does surprise me is when I read people sliming Condoleeza Rice.

I know very little about her, but what I do know, I like. I think she's bright and energetic. She seems to come with an attitude that she can improve things, and that she can make a difference. Even when she is talking about areas that are historically intransigent, she sounds optimistic.

I know she's not perfect. I accept that her primary qualification for selection was that she was standing next to Bush when he had to choose someone, and we all know what proximity to him means in terms of who he'll even consider. And the reason she was standing next to him is that she is part of his coterie, outside of which he doesn't like to search. But even given that, she's not a bad choice. He could have done worse -- and for George, that's like doing exceptionally well.

3 comments:

Sweeti said...

I personally try not to inflict people with my political views, However Condi
Rice is the brightest and most intelligent woman I've had the pleasure to watch in the political arena. I admire her in so many ways and personally think George Bush could not have done better than her.
Now to George Bush, I may be going against the grain here but I have felt more secure and more proud to be an American since George Bush has been in office.

I think if he were to be able to run again I would vote for him again. Oh sure there's things every president does that someone doesn't like. But he stands up and says this is the way and goes for it. I am so thankful Al Gore wasn't in the White house on Sept,11th, I could imagine how differently things would have been handled.
So if Condi Rice were to be our candidate knowing all we know of her today I'd vote for her also. But that just my opinion and and I don't claim to be really politcal minded but I have a feel for integrity and back bone in people. I vote my heart!

Cerulean Bill said...

Then I guess we agree on one, and disagree on the other. Nothing wrong with that. And there's nothing wrong with voting your heart. I think Bush has a lot going for him on a personal level -- he connects very well with individuals. I suspect that many of the people who voted for him did so based on his personal charisma. And like it or not (from my perspective), when enough people vote for someone, they win. Simple as that. At that point what I think about who should have won is immaterial. Unfortunately, a lot of Democrats could not get past the attitude of 'but my guy SHOULD have won!' But he didn't. Get over it. Work harder, be more persuasive, be luckier next time.

I know its not that simple. I just want it to be.

One of the things that really irritated me in the last presidential election was the way that each side demonized the other. Republican, Democrat, it didn't matter -- each treated the other with contempt and an appalling lack of consideration. I had political posters stolen from my yard, and in talking to the police found that this happened on both sides. I know that it is the action of mean spirited people on both sides. I hope that civil discourse can return -- but its a tough spiral to reverse.

Sweeti said...

I absolutely agree!