Friday, May 05, 2006

Slow Friday

Not because of desire, but intent. It seems like the kind of day when it'd be a good idea to take things slowly -- and, as a smart person once said to me, to keep moving along.

Last night, my daughter was out till 10 on a school color guard activity. She normally goes to sleep at 8:30 on a school night, 9:30 on a weekend night. She was exhausted, plus she had the remnants of a cold. This morning, she was moving very slowly. She announced that since she had a field trip today, and only one core class, she wanted to stay home. I actually understood that logic, but unfortunately for her I was out of the house when she presented it. Her mother is much less likely than me to cut her slack in that area. Truth to tell, I probably wouldn't have, either.

The reason I was out was that I was continuing the saga of mowing the yard. The electric mulching mower we bought said it could do up to a third of an acre, which happens to be the size of our land, but of course we interpretted that as a third of a really flat acre that was mowed recently. Neither of those is true. I ran out the charge on the machine doing the front and part of the side of the house last night. This morning, I ran out the charge finishing the side and doing most of the back. Tonight or tomorrow, we'll finish it. I forgot how much of a workout you can get with a mower. My daughter asked that we not get a riding mower, and that hadn't been in the plan anyway, but this morning, it would have been nice. Heck, I looked up and saw the farmer go by on his tractor -- manly tractor -- and wondered if he mowed lawns.

And then I came back in, learned of the altercation with the daughter, found an instant message asking me to do something trivial immediately....and I decided this would be a good day to just take as it came.

3 comments:

Rach said...

See, now if you had waited for ME to mow that grass, you wouldn't have had such a crazy start to your day. :P
Although .. I think you need to thank me. This way you didn't need to see the g-string. hee!

Oh and, I suppose I need to thank you too, because I didn't know your yard was so big! YIKES!

I hope your daughter feels better soon and can get a nap in later to catch up on that sleep deprivation.
I know how kids are when they've had a short night. Oy!

Rach said...

Oh yes, and I forgot to wish you a happy Friday! :)

Cerulean Bill said...

...and a happy Cinco de Mayo to you, too!