Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Under There

I've been thinking about underwear lately. We don't tend to give gifts for organized, Nationally Recognized Gifting Opportunities, except Christmas, but we do for Birthdays. And as one is coming up for a certain, ahem, friend of mine, I'd like to get her something nice. Something appropriate for her age. Something sexy. Not Victoria's Secret sexy, not thin as a rail and twice as pale sexy, and not grandma-sexy. Sexy.

Several years ago, I had a paperback book that had as its cover illustration just the fringe of a peach-color slip with a goodly amount of delicate white lace. I liked that enough to look for something like it when the next gifting opportunity arrived. I was surprised how easy it was to find cheap reproductions that kind-of looked like it, and how difficult to find something with a soft, sensuous feel. Eventually I did, at Nordstrom's, but it took a while. I ended up buying several things of that type from there, over time, because she liked it, and thats pretty important to me. But even though I doubt you can really ever have too much of that kind of thing, I eventually got the feeling that we'd reached surfeit. I think the occasion of realization was when she found one that she hadn't worn in more than a year, tucked in behind some other things.

But I'd like to give it another try, anyway. Something that's as soft, sexy, and sensuous as she is. Given that this will most likely be a mail-order thing, and given my standards, this may take a while.

Because I don't know where to start (there's no freakin way to tell, on the Web, the good stuff from the bad) .

3 comments:

Angie said...

Plus, this isn't really something that you can Google from work. :)

Rach said...

My brain was on the same wave length as yours today, it seems. However, I was going to talk about g-strings and my hate for them. ;)

Do you happen to have La Senza in the USA? It's a great place to find reasonably priced, soft and sexy and COMFORTABLE lingere. Now if you're not so keen on going into a place in person .. then hmm .. not sure.

Cerulean Bill said...

I'm not at all opposed to going to a store. Its been years since I've gotten strange looks picking up something silky and examining it. (At one time, I understand, saying 'shes about your size -- what size bra do you wear' was quite the pickup line... personally, I never had the nerve to use it).

No, its the logistics of the thing. We don't have very many stores in this area that sell quality stuff. Some are better than VS, but GOOD -- well, my impression is, not really. Though I guess I should be careful with that -- we were in Seattle once and ducked out of the rain into a small lingerie store that reeked of elegance. I was startled to realize that no, they HADN'T forgotten to put the decimal point on those price tags. I am not talking about 'whatever it costs'. But I am talking about quality first, then we look at cost.

As for G Strings, okay, they can be sexy, but I've always wondered how in the world any woman can wear them comfortably. Which reminds me of the old joke about the guy seeing the woman in the bar, wearing leather pants. He says Pardon me for asking, but -- how in the world do you get into those pants? And she looks him over, then replies Well, you start by buying me a drink....So maybe you start with the assumption that they're stylish, not comfortable. Which as I gather also describes womens formal shoes.

Googling from work could be a problem, yes.

La Senza isn't familiar to me, but I will look for it.