Thursday, May 18, 2006

I Blogged That !!!

I've been looking at a lot more web pages lately, courtesy of StumbleUpon. In addition to being amazed at the breadth of material thats out there, and how good much of it is, I noticed that I tend to shy away from many blogs. Which I think is a little surprising, for obvious reasons. I'm not, after all, a great writer, and it would be odd if the reason I shyed away from blogs were because I didn't like the caliber of what was there. And while sometimes the content seems a little strange, I don't reject a blog for that. (I may not go back, but I don't lunge for the button to show me another site.) I realized after a while that the one thing that can make me leave is this: if the person, referring to earlier writings, says that 'this is something I blogged about'. That phrase rubs me the wrong way -- it doesn't sound right to my ear. I have roughly the same reaction to the word 'disrespect' when its used as a verb. It just doesn't sound right. In fact, every so often I'll stop and try to figure out why that word, in that context sounds wrong to me, and I've come to the conclusion, such as it is, that the reason is the same for that and for 'blogged' -- it sounds self consciously coy. Its a way of saying See, I'm hip, cool, with it, fly -- or whatever the current phrase is for being au courant. Which I believe is a kind of cheese Danish, right?

3 comments:

Rach said...

*note to self .. do not use that "I blogged that" phrase or will lose one a dedicated reader

I do agree tho .. but 'blog' has since been added to many vocabularies and I think I may have used it in that very context before too. Don't go checking tho. :P

Cerulean Bill said...

Its really the people who seem to be saying 'hey, look how interesting I am', and as you are inherently interesting, you clearly aren't doing that. I did see your comment about being a blogging chick, incidentally.

That might even be a point of linguistic interest -- what kind of people say 'I blogged' and what kind say 'I wrote in my blog' or 'I posted in my blog'. Perhaps the former are simply more comfortable with this internet gimcrackery.

Though I *am* bummed about the Nanaimo bar thing. I guess I'll have to learn how to bake them. That just leaves the Australian delicacies to wonder about. I like them -- but not enough to pay the shipping that unfortunately the stateside vendors have to charge. Guess I'll have to see if that other job pans out -- it'd involve much travel, of which a significant percentage would be overseas. Wonder if I can make access to those cookies part of the salary negotiations?

Tabor said...

Well, blogging is a little differnet from writing, publishing, talking, so it does explain the specific process. it is no longer a pompous term...just a term.