Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Status

I have been 'discharged' from at-home therapy. The woman who came four times says that I am 'ambulating satisfactorily'; I am independent, and can handle most things myself, with only minor help from my wife (mostly: shoes and socks, though every so often I will say, in a weak voice "Hello? Um..my nose itches....."). I am therefore clear to start going to outpatient therapy. As a test, we went out this evening, and I drove. The only rocky part was getting out of the van; as I was wearing shoes, my feet weren't quite as manuverable as normal, and at one point, when I was hand-lowering my left leg, I had a sudden its gonna hurt its gonna hurt its gonna hurt spasm. Which, actually, it did, but not overwhelmingly. So I got through it, and everything else was okay. Now, if I could just get a decent nights sleep (3 of the last four, I slept less than 5 hours, and even that was in chunks. No idea why.)

I cooked dinner this evening. I am so delighted that I can do this again. Tonight it was comfort food. Not sure if I've shown this recipe before. We quite like it.

HOMEMADE MACARONI & CHEESE - 4 servings

8 oz elbow macaroni

1 1/2 c. Cheddar cheese, grated
1 c. Mozzarella cheese, grated
1/2 lb. Velveeta cheese,sliced

3 tbsp. butter
1/4 c. flour
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. dry mustard
1/4 tsp. pepper

2 1/2 c. milk


Pre-heat oven to 375
Cook macaroni and reserve.

Meanwhile:
Prepare cheeses - grate cheddar; grate Mozzarella; slice 1/2 pound Velveeta. Reserve.
Melt butter in glass Pyrex dish.
To melted butter, add flour, salt, mustard and pepper. Stir until smooth.
Pour butter mixture into moderately large saucepan.
Add milk to mixture. Stir constantly for 10 minutes or until thick, whichever comes first.
Add cheeses. Mix until melted. If necessary, increase heat, but monitor closely for scorching of pan.
Grease 9x13 casserole dish.
Put cooked macaroni in greased casserole dish, pour cheese mixture over and mix well.
Bake uncovered at 375 degrees for 20 minutes.

2 comments:

The 4th Doctor said...

"ambulating satisfactorily"

Oh...I miss the days when I could do that.

Cerulean Bill said...

Perhaps it's like the old joke of the fellow who sees a friend, and, upon inquiring, learns of multiple problems. Days later, the friend says that things are 'going great'. The fellow says that he's glad that things have improved, and the friend replies "They haven't - in fact, they're worse. I just lowered my standard for what I call 'great' ".