Thursday, January 24, 2008

Gee, Mail

I like getting mail responses to things on this blog -- it means that people are reading it (more than one is 'people', right?), and even though they then have to go heave because they're so nauseated by what they read, they did read it. Say anything you want, just spell my name right, as the old Hollywood saying goes.

One thing that I did was to set up Comcast's email so that emails to my box are copied to a Gmail box. It's intended as a backup, should I purge mine and then think 'aw, heck, I wanted that one', but it turns out theres a side benefit. You can set up Gmail to alert you when a mail arrives -- it gives a small popup window with the first couple of lines of the email. Frequently, thats all I need -- I know to go to the blog and look there for the response. The popup is fairly unobtrusive, and only hangs around for about three seconds. Its not bad at all -- and, of course, the actual email still gets delivered, too.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I really like gmail too and I have my school e-mail address mail and my comcast mail forwarded to it. I even can send e-mails from my gmail using my school e-mail address. I never have to access the crappy school system, its great!

Haven't tried the pop-ups. I am already a compulsive enough e-mail checker, probably don't need help in that department.