Saturday, January 26, 2008

SatEve

Saturday evening, and we're all a bit wiped.

My daughter, because she's picked up a cold that knocked her out this afternoon. Upon awakening, she said that if this had happened on Monday, she'd have been at school. No, I replied, if you were this sick on Monday, we'd have kept you home. The thought that she missed a day from school didn't delight her.

My wife, because while she was changing the sheets on the bed, there were several bursts of static electricity from the electric blanket that were serious enough to destroy the circuit, so now it's the formerly-electric blanket. Neither of us had ever heard of such a thing, and the idea of having to replace the blanket - those things aren't cheap - didn't delight her.

And me, because I finally baked the bread, and after all the to-and-froing of the dough over the last two days, it didn't turn out very well. Hell of a crust, nice crumb, no rise. Part, too, of the problem was that I didn't realize that the recipe really did intend to put the baking stone above the bread -- I guess to give it a real browning -- and that the baking temperature was up in the pizza range -- 475 degrees. I caught it just before putting the bread in, but the bread turned out fairly flat. So I'm not delighted, either.

I think we're all ready to deadstick and power-down for a while....

1 comment:

Cerulean Bill said...

Thanks. We're all taking it really slow....