Monday, January 21, 2008

Bakering

My daughter bakes, a little. In an effort to encourage her to do more (and with an eye toward being able to survive on her own), we gave her a copy of Clueless in the Kitchen: A Cookbook for Teens. Its a pretty comprehensive cookbook, but there's very little intimidating about it.

Yesterday I asked her if she thought she'd make anything from it. Yes, she replied instantly, and went to get the book. Here, she said, I'll let you have the honor of making the first thing. No, I demurred, I want you to make it -- but I'll gladly help. Oh, she replied, and tossed the book onto the table.

I think we're going to need to encourage her.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Why would any kid do something if they didn't have to or felt really compelled to do it? Its one of those teenager rules I think.
Although encouragement could work too. : )

Cerulean Bill said...

I think she'd like to; she just needs to know that its okay if it doesn't work out. Like me, she hates to fail, particularly in public.

The 4th Doctor said...

Wait...you are supposed to be able to survive on your own? When did this happen? Why wasn't I informed?

Cerulean Bill said...

I agree, its a bother. Having staff is much better.