Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Fantasy

Occasionally, I fantasize.

Usually, its one of the standard fantasies -- the lithe young female physical therapists doing some unorthodox and very much hands-on treatments to my personal body, or the cute neighbor stopping by to see if there is anything she can do to ease my recovery. Anything at all? Sometimes I go far afield and daydream about a political environment with the intelligence and integrity of, say, The West Wing, or about meeting Bill Gates and, after stunning him either with my brilliance or a rock, summarily transferring a great deal of his wealth to, oh, someone else. I don't know, someone local...

But thats usually the extent of it. Nothing about whipped cream, hot oil, or surprise Easter parties of a Monday morning. Occasionally, though, a new one pops up.

This morning, coming back from therapy, I saw the fellows putting in the Verizon FiOS cabling, and I thought briefly about what it would take to get us to switch to them from our current cable Internet access. (This is something apparently much on the mind of the cable people, given the ads I've seen, purportedly by the phone company, about how their charges aren't bloated compared to what they could be.) I thought of comments I've seen in other sites about how service is generally equal to cable; sometimes way superior, sometimes way inferior -- and how when its bad, you can get caught in the morass of 'We Be The Phone Company' when you're trying to just get someone to fix the damn thing. Wouldn't it be nice, I mused, if big companies took customer service seriously? And not by their standards, but by ours?

Guess I'd better go back to mulling about meeting up with the Bikini Soccer Team ....at least there's some degree of possibility there.

No comments: