Thursday, January 17, 2008

Biscotti

One of the things that I don't bake all that well is biscotti. It's pretty easy to make biscotti; even the glamorous versions, studded with nuts and covered with icings, are simple stuff. But the biscotti I have in mind has never come easily to me.

A company called Two Smart Ladies, based in Maine, used to sell the kind of I have in mind -- soft, but not crumbly, with some candied fruits in it. They were expensive, so I didn't get them too often, but I told others about them, and whenever I did get them, I'd always pause for a couple of minutes and look at them, wondering how to make mine come out like that. The next time I made biscotti, I'd try variations -- what if I used less heat; what if I only baked it once (thus, technically, not being 'biscotti' any more). Never made it. And, alas, they went out of business. Bummer. Lost forever.

This Christmas, in addition to the gift of falling down the stairs (and hey, good news: I walked about twenty feet without a crutch today; very slowly, but still, and outpatient therapy starts on Tuesday), I got a selection of Italian Christmas cookies from my mother in law. Okay, technically we got them. But as I was eating them, one, a sort of dense cookie, about the size of a piece of fudge, but with the texture of a cookie - soft, not crumbly, with some candied fruits in it - that one got my attention. So I ate it.

And then I thought: who made that? How did they make it? Is there any more?

I think I need to have words with my mother in law....

2 comments:

The 4th Doctor said...

"soft, but not crumbly"

Hmmmmm. Isn't this the antithesis of biscotti. I am thinking of those hard things one dunks in coffee...

Cerulean Bill said...

Oh, yes. The classic biscotti (my Italian MIL would pronounce it 'bis-COH-ti') is hard and requires either dunking or teeth of steel to eat. What I liked about the ones from these women was that they didn't require that. When I saw that one cookie (for lack of a better word)from my MIL, I realized that a) it was essentially the texture I liked so much, and b) what I liked wasn't actually a biscotti, even though they called it that. I believe that what they sold was actually Italian dessert cookies -- but whatever it 'really' was, it was good stuff.