Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Planning

Since I've retired, my life hasn't necessarily become less busy. Part of that is the medical stuff that I've been going through, with all of the followup, scheduling, and whatnot that that entails. Part of it is that the dozens of things you have to remember to do still go on, working or not. I've told multiple people how I'm occasionally still amazed how it can take a substantial portion of my time to do the things we used to squeeze into lunchtime, nights, and weekends.

There are people who are quite good (or at least quite compulsive, which with luck translates into 'good') about tracking what they're doing and how it relates to where they want to be in a multitude of areas. Last night, I came across an article on the Lifehack site which spoke about how to improve the 'weekly review' that's part of a popular methodology that's known as GTD, for Getting Things Done. It lets you break the general concept of 'stuff I gotta keep track of' into twelve areas - from your weekly ToDo list to Expenses to Social. Doing that helps you focus better; you don't start on one thing and think 'oh, wait, I need to remember to do something in a different area'.

It's worth reading.

No comments: