Saturday, January 12, 2008

Tarred

Not exhausted, just tired. I've been hobbling around most of the morning, using the crutch, and I've been doing some baking -- very slowly.

The crutch is working okay, but I have definitely got a ways to go before I'm comfortable with it. The first couple of steps usually cause me trouble -- I end up at a dead stop, shuffling my strong leg up to be even with the other two, then starting again -- and if I've been stationary for a while, my leg gets stiff, and that makes me hobble, too. But all of that tends to go away pretty quickly.

The baking is also good -- its a recipe I haven't tried before, so of course I had to make a small batch for my wife and daughter to try before making more to give to the neighbor to thank her for her thoughtfulness. I told my wife that I would enclose a note to that effect, and that my marital partner wouldn't let me thank her the way I'd like. My wife said she'd be glad to bring the cookies, and the note over. Really. Course, she knows that nothing would happen. Has nothing to do with me being in hobble mode, and her being a karate instructor.

They look pretty good, sitting out there cooling. Here's the recipe.

Fudge and Walnut Oatmeal Cookies
about 4 dozen small ones

2 cups walnut pieces

2 cups chocolate chips
1 14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt

1 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3 cups uncooked old-fashioned rolled oats

Heat the oven to 375F. Spread the walnut pieces out on a cookie sheet and bake for about 10 minutes or until toasted.

Grind them in a food processor until they are in smaller pieces. Grind 1/2 cup quite fine, like sprinkles.

Over medium-low heat, warm the condensed milk and chocolate chips in a small saucepan. Stir to combine completely and keep on very low heat.

Mix the flour and other dry ingredients and set aside.

Cream the butter and sugar until fluffy, then add the eggs and vanilla.

Add the flour and beat until smooth. Stir in the oats and 1 1/2 cups of the walnut pieces by hand.

Lightly grease a cookie sheet and dollop out small rounds of the cookie dough by teaspoon.

Flatten into nests with the back of the spoon or your fingers.

Spread another teaspoonful of the chocolate mixture on top of each cookie dough nest.

Cover it almost completely; the cookie will spread out around the chocolate.

Sprinkle some of the remaining 1/2 cup of nuts on top.

Bake for about 12-15 minutes, or until just lightly golden brown.

Let cool on the cookie sheet for a few minutes then remove to a cooling rack.

2 comments:

The 4th Doctor said...

Cookies are usually my "crutch." And have I needed them lately.

Cerulean Bill said...

Nil problema. Stop by. We've got extras. (I wish that were possible!)