Saturday, January 26, 2008

Cookin

Yesterday evening, my wife had to work late, leaving my daughter and I alone for dinner. Either of us is perfectly willing to make a dinner of, oh, crackers with jelly on them with a glass of milk, but my daughter surprised me by saying that she wanted to cook something from her new Clueless in the Kitchen cookbook. I smiled, but secretly I was struck with terror -- I am not someone who handles new food well, and thats just exactly what she likes to mull over when she looks at cookbooks. This time, she pulled out a Pasta with Pesto Sauce. Great! I said. OMG, I thought. But I helped her, finding ingredients, telling her how to do various things (but delicately; she doesn't like being told how to do something that she kind-of knows now), and generally hanging out.

At last the meal was done, and she asked if I was going to have any. Uh, no, I'm waiting for Mom to come home so I can eat with her, I said. She immediately called her mother and extracted a promise that she would have the meal for her dinner. I felt guilty, so I said she could give me some. But just a little, I added. She gave me one single piece of rotini with pesto on it.

It was good!

2 comments:

Rach said...

What a great thing you've started, with your daughter getting involved in the cookie .. and her wanting to too! She seemes to be proving she's good at it as well. Yay! Less meals for you and your wife to cook! :)

Cerulean Bill said...

Well, thats not actually the goal, but come to think of it, would that be so bad? Except for the image of my daughter sternly commanding me to Finish that; I spent hours cooking it!, that is (g).