Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Small Steps

Today, I got out of bed by myself, twice. The first time was pretty smooth; the second would have caused heart flutters in a therapist as I tilted 45 degrees to the right and tried to right myself with my right hand skittering backwards along an end table while the other grabbed onto the walker, which is stable but not, after all, gravitationally active.

I got the ingredients out for breakfast, and could have cooked them but that I was letting my wife sleep in.

I took a shower. It wasn't much of one, and there was one shaky point on trying to exit it, where I had the weak leg on the mat and the strong one on wet shower floor, leaning on the walker, but I did do it.

My 'walking' has improved. I don't know if thats the result of improved muscle strength in my left leg, improved technique, or both, but now I don't usually feel as if I'm chinning myself on the 'strong leg' component. This improvement comes and goes. I'll take what I can get.

1 comment:

Cerulean Bill said...

I just have to keep downsizng what 'there' is. Used to be 'to the kitchen to make waffles and coffee'; right now its 'get out of bed without falling.'