Sunday, January 13, 2008

A-A

This is probably a rhetorical question. Its one where I kind of know the answer, but I don't like it, so I'm hoping theres a better one.

The question is: why is the phrase 'African-American' still commonly used to describe someone?

I used to think that it meant that people who called themselves that cared more about where their ancestors are from than where they are now. I think thats still a little true, but not a lot. My liberal spasms make me say Well, you can be called whatever you want (see, for example, George Carlin's great routine about the guy named Smith); African-American refers to ancestry in which one is proud, just as Irish-American, Italian-American, etc; African-American doesn't mean 'black' or any shade thereof, anyway; look at the color mix of people in South Africa, for example.

To which I say a) thats a joke, literally; b) but its not used as a description routinely by anyone else, and c) thats sophistry, as most people from Africa are some shade of black.

I'm reading a really interesting article about Obama right now, and his relationship, or lack thereof, with noted civil rights leaders, and that phrase keeps coming up, making me think about it. What I find myself thinking is Why are these people still relevant? And I immediately think Are black people equal yet? Not even close, I would bet. I'm not smart enough to discourse on whether we've managed to create a permanent underclass, but so long as there are substantial numbers of people who fit that description, having people who care uniquely about them is a good thing. Especially when the federal government's trying to get out of the business of caring about people.

(FWIW: my answer, which I don't particularly care for, is that people who use it as a self-descriptor feel a greater sense of identification with others who do than with those who don't, whether or not those others chromatically qualify for the descriptor. The reason I don't like it is that to my mind it puts that subcommunity before the overall community, to the detriment of both. Also, to be honest, I am tired of people beating the civil-rights drum, even though its still needed. I think thats part of Obama's magic -- he can do it, but when he does, its a bright trumpet peal, not a thudding drum. )

4 comments:

The 4th Doctor said...

Interesting that you ask this rhetorical question...in a country that still thinks reality TV is real and unscripted...and that the Patriot Act is a "good thing." I used to think that when one grew up you worked harder to be fair and just. Imagine my surprise ti discover the exact opposit is true.

Cerulean Bill said...

I don't have clear thoughts on this. I think that thinking of themselves as A-A hurts them -- and yet I think its also a technique that protects them, gives them strength.

Lots of analogies occur to me. None particularly insightful. Sometimes, I'm not all that bright.

STAG said...

Have you ever heard Bill Cosby's rant about "African Americans" and Ebonics? Its enough to bring tears to your eyes! And because it is Cosby, they are tears of laughter.

Cerulean Bill said...

Cosby is an interesting guy. I admit, I haven't followed his comments much of late. I know that he has berated black people, generally, for not pushing their children harder, and I feel guilty when I agree with him, even a bit.

Of course, I've never forgiven him for those awful Jello ads, either.