Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Origami

I wanted to title this 'Origami Mommy', but I didn't have the right genetic equipment.

I like origami. I'm fascinated by the simple shapes; one of the scenes I liked best in Star Trek IV was Spock carefully refolding a piece of wrapping paper which had been folded, using origami styles, around a gift. I am perplexed by people who do intense origami -- you know, take a dollar bill and fold it eighty-three gazillion times until it resembled Darth Vader in a top hat. I expect to see these people in Extreme Origami, where you have fourteen seconds, and oh by the way, the folding paper is impregnated with crystals that can explode based on the warmth of your hand. Origami is, to me, a simple, gentle piece of civility, and I like it.

Which is why I lingered on this page for a while before sighing, thinking of my own skills -- I've done some very, very simple structures -- and moving on.

No comments: