Sunday, January 20, 2008

SnRnD

Sitting and Reading and Drinking.

Specifically, Sitting at the dining room table, Reading book reviews from the Washington Post, and Drinking cherry flavored water. Oh, and L - Listening to a rendition of Bach's Double Violin Concerto. I do like classical music. I'm not able to pick out any but the classics (wait, wait -- thats the theme from the Lone Ranger! Its - um - Ride of the Valkyries, right???) but I do like them, particularly chamber music. This one, I got for Christmas. So I'm mellowing out, no longer (much) berating myself for falling a bit ago, and only feeling slight aches (I took a painkiller, which undoubtedly helps). A little ticked at breaking the dish washer door (still usable, but now you need to Know The Trick to open it; repair scheduled for a week from tomorrow), but thats about it. I do tend to beat myself up about things like this, but I'm trying to get over that tendency.

Vista, Mista?

Two reviews caught my attention -- one, The Bush Tragedy, which apparently posits that although there were multiple supporting factors, the primary reason for the invasion of Iraq was the desire of Dubya to prove that he was the leading son, not his brother Jeb, and that he wanted to outdo his father by finishing the business that he saw as unfinished in Iraq. It's an interesting review, though it didn't compel me to put the book on the list of things I want to read. Maybe some day, though. And, I read the review of Grand Obsession: A Piano Odyssey, about a woman's obsession with a specific piano -- its sound, its vicissitudes, the people who built it, maintained it, repaired it. This one, I might just stir myself to get. At least, the paperback version.

Making a list and Checking It Twice: interesting article about statistical validation in close elections.

Tomorrow, my daughter doesn't have classes, but she does have a half-day event to remember MLK. She'll be in and out; I'll be out for a while; my wife will be working from home. We'll have a quiet, pleasant breakfast, inshallah.

Take care, y'all.

3 comments:

SusieJ said...

I'm sure we'll have a similar day.I'm off to Checking it Twice. .. Interesting.

The 4th Doctor said...

Don't beat yorself up about the diswacher...just get in the kitchen and wash some dishes.

Cerulean Bill said...

Well, the dishwasher still works, it's just that the door's a bit of a challenge. NBD, just an irritation.