Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Photoing

On the old laptop, we have a copy of Image Expert, which is a package that came with either the desktop or that laptop. Its a decent little tool for sorting and classifying images. I wanted to put it on this laptop, but for the life of me, I could not get it to start -- it kept saying that it was having difficulty reading the database. As the suffix for the database is the same as for Access, I'm guessing the install stuck something in the Windows directory to tell it when it was its own stuff. Of course, I don't have the install CD, and as the package was a) built by one company for installation on the hardware of another to be used in conjunction with a web site for a third, and b) is five years old, the chances of finding a replacement was pretty small.

Last night, I found PhotoPhilia, from the Pholix corporation. It can do everything that I want, and more than a couple of things that would never have occurred to me. Its not an editor per se, but it has some capabilities along those lines. The only thing it can't do (and maybe it can, and I just haven't found it yet) is 'tag' photos as you find them. The only flaw I've found is that the thumbnail window is about twice the size I'd like (I like to scroll down, not across). Neither of these are Big Things.

I think its a worthwhile tool, and much less commercially intrusive than others. The cost is about $40, US.

No comments: