Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Flour

For some reason, the StumbleUpon service has decided that I need to think about baking. A lot.

Of the last twenty or so sites that I looked at in the last couple of hours, about half had something to do with baking or cooking (Fine Cooking, Amy's Breads, Creative Breads), and about half of them had specifically to do with flour, and how to tell the difference between them. Some of this, I already knew; others, like the difference between Canadian All-Purpose and US All-Purpose, I didn't. (Basically, Canadian All-Purpose really is; US, really isn't.) But this is beginning to frost me a bit, because the reason that I'm doing this surfing is that my hip is sore from the exercises today -- only a little bit more than we did yesterday, but overall, enough to make me wince, a bit, when I walk -- so I'm goofing off, not emptying the dishwasher, cleaning up the kitchen, or anything. And in a bit I'll take a nap. But thanks to these guys, I bet I will dream about baking.

I do want to do some. Just not -- today. Not alone, anyway. Anyone want to come over to the house, get floured with me?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I've got to go to my physics lab first, but you pull out the ingredients and we'll bake something haha.

Cerulean Bill said...

Sounds like fun. If you were closer I'd take you up on it. I've been wanting to bake some bread for about two weeks now. And cupcakes. And... You get the idea.

Enjoy the physics lab, if thats possible.

Unknown said...

Bread sounds good, not a huge fan of cupcakes but I guess more to share than.
If I somehow end up in Bill's Town, PA I'll be sure to let you know. Hmm are there any baking conventions? haha (I'm sure there are). Not that I would be considered a baker on any planet. Cookies and brownies are about the extent of my skill.

Cerulean Bill said...

I bake cookies routinely, brownies when I feel like it, pies or cakes if I'm feeling adventurous, and breads or rolls when I want to test my luck. I've had ONE time when my bread turned out just absolutely perfect -- and the next time, same recipe, same everything -- it was okay, nothing great. I want to be able to routinely do that; also, to routinely make decent soft rolls (Kaiser rolls). Its my desire to go to a baking school, but just to learn how, not to become a commercial baker. The Culinary Institute of America has a one week Baking Boot Camp that I have my eye on....once I can walk again.

As for being here, if you do (not making any assumptions here) I'll be sure and bake something straightforward -- like that tiramisu I made a few weeks ago. Now that was GOOD! Just got to get the ladyfingers from my MIL -- the ones I used are Italian, and they were excellent. Or theres this recipe I've got for breadsticks that I'd like to try...