Thursday, January 10, 2008

Geek, But...

I read a lot of different things. I'm not a Renaissance Man, by any means, but in certain broad categories, I like to pick up on whats interesting.

One of those areas is neural nets, which I know a little bit. Here's a very nice explanation from a NASA site: Neural net software learns by observing pairs of related patterns in the real world and learns to perform different tasks in response to different patterns: it discovers relationships by observation. A neural network consists of many interconnected processors (or nodes) using computational principles derived from neurons in the brain. Each node assigns a value to the input from each of its counterparts. As these values change, the network can adjust the way it responds. For example: if you wanted to automatically turn on your cars wipers, you might have one input that tracks whether there is wetness on the windshield; if the answer is yes, another might check whether the windshield washer was just used (if so, turn it on, briefly); while another might check how much wetness is on the windshield (a little - turn on 'intermittent'; a lot - turn on 'high'), and so forth.

People have been designing software to function like this for years, and its been pretty neat to read about. So when I read an article today about a bioscientist who was teaching an actual neural net, built up from neurons, not an Artificial Neural Net, which is done with software, I thought 'Well, thats interesting, but who needs to know that? I mean, its been done...' It took me a moment to realize 'Actually, no, it isn't. You're thinking of science fiction as reality again, Bill. Aka the Galactica Syndrome.'

Oh, yeah.

2 comments:

The 4th Doctor said...

I know the "Galactica Syndrome" well, but more as "Classic Galactica Syndrome" (as I prefer 1970s Galactica). I am constantly disappointed that my house is not bigger on the inide than it is on the outside (TARDIS Syndrome)...

Cerulean Bill said...

It is bigger, as anyone who's lost socks into the Washing Machine Vortex or shoes to the UnderDeBed Black Hole knows.