Friday, January 25, 2008

Post, Gone

I had a post in here from this morning, but apparently the Post Monster ate it.

I can't imagine that it was all that tasty -- I was just writing about having gone to physical therapy again. I'd had a problem yesterday -- a really sharp pain behind my right hip when I walked -- so I made a point to mention it to them. Apparently, that was the right thing to do, as it got their attention. Usually, the folks at the therapy place set you up with exercises and then walk away while you do them, coming back at the end to steer you somewhere else. They pretty much did that this time as well, but added on some extra hands-on (literally). The woman who normally works with me spent a fair amount of time staring at my leg, as if she was trying to do a Vulcan mind meld with the muscles; at one point, she stood to the left of the bed (I'm not sure what to call it, it's not actually a bed) with a seat belt wrapped low around her torso as well as around my upper thigh, using her weight to put a strain on my left leg's quads. Considering the minimal distance between her breasts and my thigh, I asked if I was going to see this in a 20-20 episode, or perhaps a Christmas card. She promised that it would not be on television, though the Christmas card sounded like an interesting idea. She also spent some time tugging on my leg; I'm not sure what that was all about, but she seemed to think it was quite important. Her conclusion was that I'd 'jammed my back' by walking awkwardly with the crutch, and suggested doing some very gentle exercises, as well as walking slowly, concentrating on form. That was a perceptive comment, as I tend to just take off, flailing the crutch as I go. It's just that I want to be rid of this damn thing. I realize that's somewhat hasty of me - - it'd be nice if I could, you know, actually walk first. Picky, picky.

I do like the people there, generally. I know that part of it is that the staff is predominantly attractive, fit young women (my guess is, about 70%); what guy wouldn't like that? But the big thing is that I get the opportunity to do exercises and receive attention that I couldn't get at home. That's important.

Remember that bread? I put it in a warm place to rise this morning -- and it's still rising. Very slow. I think I'll be shaping dough by moonlight. (Sounds like a book, doesn't it?)

2 comments:

STAG said...

Reminds me of a story when I was recovering in the hospital....the nurse would sit by the bed, place my hand between her breasts,palm up, and put a blood pressure cuff on me. I asked her why they did that. The flippant answer (of course it was flippant, honestly I was just another semi-conscious piece of meat to them right?) was that this way they could see how much better I was feeling by how rapidly my blood pressure was rising.

Funny, they guy nurses did it a different way, so I have always had a niggling thought that maybe they were.......serious?

Cerulean Bill said...

You were their boy-toy, sir. Which, of course, as an enlightened fellow, I abhor. Fills me with disgust. Really. You bet.

Can we take that reading again?