Friday, January 11, 2008

Hobblin'

I'm practicing walking with a single crutch (aka Single Assistive Device). Its not hard, but its a little scary. I'm surprised that even a short walk -- ten feet -- will tire me out. I suspect that its because I'm changing the way I walk, so that the 'stable' part is the crutch and my right leg, and a third 'unstable' part - the left leg - comes along for the ride. I have to think about it when I move. One thing that I didn't expect was that they have me hold the crutch on the right. I would have thought 'left, to support the left side, which is the weak one', but that doesn't appear to be the case. I even found a site that says to do it exactly that way, so apparently its not just some wild local custom.

I listened in on a technical problem teleconference this morning. It was just like being back at IBM -- same people, same tones, same problem, same ideas. I wish I could do that again, even if just part time. But part-time tech is something that makes sense to people who write articles for Fast Company and INC., not people who draft policies for IBM.

No comments: