Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Stray Thoughts

Years ago, I read a contest to make up words to describe daily events. One of them was 'elevacceleration' which is where you punch the elevator call button several times so that the elevator will come faster. Of course, you know that it doesn't, but doing so makes you feel better. Well, I need a corresponding word for when you're just trying to get the damn app up' and so you click on it fifteen times until it finally starts -- along with fourteen clones. Not every app does this -- just the dumb ones.

Miley Cyrus is going to earn over a million dollars for her autobiography of her life, thus far. Isn't that special?

I am amazed by Clinton's comment about obliterating Iran. I suppose she is trying to show how tough she can be. Personally, I've thought of as tough ever since I read a summary of how she likes to tell defenseless underlings, like guards, secret service, and the like, to get the fuck out of her way. But I thought she was bright, too. I guess that fades with stress -- though not so remarkably as it does with John McCain, who seems to have a real problem with his temper. For sure, let's give him control of nuclear weapons.

I can be fascinated by articles about people who trek the poorest, most rugged parts of the world, and wish that I could do that. This from someone who considers roughing it to mean 'slow room service'.

I wonder if there is a consensus as to what the effects of NAFTA have been.

More later. Maybe. I want to write about a New York Times article but I'm not sure that I have anything useful to say.

4 comments:

STAG said...

Hee hee...my prime minister, Stephen Harper, would be deee-lighted to re-open the North American Free Trade Agreement...it would allow us to, like, double the price of oil and softwood lumber, and do it unilaterally, instead of waiting for the suits in Texas to determine the price!

We up here in the frozen nord are waiting with bait on our breath to see how THAT will play out!

Cerulean Bill said...

Be careful. As that Canadian humorist said, you don't want us to bring Democracy to your country....

Unknown said...

Renegotiating NAFTA, hmmm? Both of them want to do that, but I'm not sure it's wise. Protectionism always sounds good - but has consistently been shown to be quite awful, in reality.

If these people want to protect American jobs there are two nations more suited to the ire of the American Public: China and India.

I'm a bit bleary-eyed, right now (my turn to get up and feed the cats) but I'd have to say that, typically, neither politician has said anything about the underlying problems; they prefer to blame NAFTA itself. Of course, any agreement like NAFTA needs to be "tuned" on a periodic basis, but that's well different to renegotiating the thing! Unless you're on the campaign trail...

McCain, on the hand, hasn't said much of anything about it. I'm not sure he really understands what it's about.

Free trade. Can you imagine how the United States would look if New York isolated itself from Pennsylvania coal? Or Ohio said "We'll protect our own farmers by banning potatoes from Idaho!"

Free trade is good - except when it contributes to global warming every election. :-)

Carolyn Ann

Cerulean Bill said...

I'm not sure. The concept of free trade sounds great, but it assumes a level playing field, and that rarely seems to be the case. Course, I never complain when the field is tilted in MY direction... which doesn't happen often enough.