Saturday, April 12, 2008

Arrived

Okay, we're here, in the Plainview (I think) Residence Inn. Quite nice, actually, and it has free internet access. They say it's wired in the rooms, wireless downstairs (we're on the third floor), but I fired up the laptop, gave it a shot, and after telling it to accept the local network (and any virii therein), it hooked up. How about that. Technology can be cool.

We got here in just under five hours, which is about two hours short of our estimate -- mostly because we didn't detour for lunch, rather going through a McD's, and also because traffic was relatively light. This was good. My wife ended up getting stuck with the lion's share of the driving -- about three hours plus -- but she said she didn't mind. I figure, I owe her. I asked if we could get together with my cousin (who lives about half an hour from here), but she didn't want to, so - we won't, no problem. I have magazines and a book to read; chocolate chip cookies; life is good. I imagine tomorrow will be on the boring side, but what the heck, we'll handle that as it comes. The wedding is fairly late in the day; maybe we'll drive around.

New York drivers are, by and large, not too bad, though a couple are more aggressive than I remember. And we actually got to see one family do the classic 'put the coffee cup on the top of the car, get in, start to pull out' trick. My wife alerted them while I'm just looking, thinking 'Surely they know, right? Surely they'll remember....' Which is yet more proof of what a nice person my wife is.

No comments: