Sunday, April 13, 2008

Yes No Yes

Last night, we talked some more about whether to mod the existing house or build a new one. (Funny, I never think about buying an existing one. I guess I should.)

I admitted that if I knew of someone who had done what we contemplate doing -- adding a structure to the house, incorporating an elevator -- and it had come out well, I'd be envious, yet I can't be confident that we could pull it off. We tossed around some numbers regarding how much we'd be willing to spend to construct and furnish such a structure. My wife told me that at some point, relatively high, but not atmospheric, in the range of plausible prices, she'd not want to proceed, but would prefer a new house. That surprised me, as although I knew she had an upper limit (so do I), she'd never quantified it (neither had I). That helps planning.

So we doodled some thoughts, talked. She asked if I liked her sister's house, up in Connectidots, and I said that I did, pretty much -- but that I did not regard it as a small house, as its got a huge living room, a spacious kitchen area (its an open floor plan), and such. I wouldn't be surprised if the total floor space was equal to ours, if not more. We talked a little about a house that a friend of ours had built; it's the classic little jewel of a house, emphasis on both jewel and little. We don't need exquisite. We talked about a condo her sister had lived in for a while, and were surprised to find that she really liked it, and I really didn't. We talked about why.

This talking is good stuff.

It really feels -- for the nonce, anyway -- like we want to build, not mod. Which is not to say we won't explore more about modding this house, but its no longer the yeah, thats what we're going to do that it was a week ago.

3 comments:

Lone Chatelaine said...

Building is fun! I love the process of building a house. What makes it not fun is when the sub-contractors are less than careful about the time-table and don't pay much attention to details. It's still fun, though.

Cerulean Bill said...

I think it could be fun if it wasn't so damn committment - oriented. I said that I'd expect that if we built a house, it would not incorporate all that I want -- some things would be too expensive (Wah!), some didn't play out as I'd thought they would. I know that you learn to live with the things that aren't perfect... I just don't want to. If I'm going to put that much energy into something, I want it to be right.

It doesn't help that this would likely be the last house we ever lived in (we've been in THIS one since we were married). That sounds awfully final.

Lone Chatelaine said...

I totally understand about wanting things to be exactly the way you want them when making such a committment and investment. I probably ran my contractors crazy the way I watched every single little thing. I know a few of them hated me. But too bad. It was my money they were being paid with.

However, some things still did not turn out just how I wanted them. Some I've learned to live with, but some bug me everytime I see them. I had always heard that you have to build a second house to correct all the mistakes and the things you learned from building the first one. I absolutely understand that now.

But once you build it, it's such a part of you that you never want to leave it. It's like having a kid, you're always wanting to spoil it and buy it things :)