Wednesday, April 23, 2008

CIA?

I've mentioned on occasion how ticked I am that the Culinary Institute of America isn't having their damn Baking Book Camp for most of this year (the first one, not counting the one this past January, is in September.). Ditto their Pastry Boot Camp.

Well, I found a series of web pages (sorry, they don't have an obvious link from the guy's home page, but they're numbered sequentially) that makes me feel better about not going. Because, though the programs are able to handle from amateur through professional, they really, really sound like they're geared to work better, the more you know. Lots of details, variations, techniques, methods, and such. And those lavish dinners they have every night? They're mandatory, and you have to critique the desserts. (Trivia: the average Boot Camp attendee gains five pounds.)

Too much for me. I'm not that competitive or eager. I just want to know a couple of things that'll help me make decent bread, consistantly; decent cupcakes; decent cookies. That's it. Oh, and maybe the occasional pot de creme....

No comments: