Sunday, April 27, 2008

Stop That!

My daughter received cash for her Confirmation. I did not expect that, at all. Afterwards, she asked us how much she'd get to keep -- and almost immediately suggested exactly what my wife and I had agreed we'd say -- that if she banked it all, she would be very close to the cost of a low-end Mac laptop (when combined with money she's saved already). She immediately agreed.

Later, it occurred to me that this presents a problem. The PCs that she uses now both have Cybersitter on them to perform site blocking. A Mac would not. The solution, I thought, would be a router-based blocking package, and so I looked. Yes, apparently they do exist. But what I found interesting in one site was that the discussion veered from 'how can I block my kid using his Mac' to 'why don't you tell them not to use it when you aren't around' or 'well, why doesn't the school promote safe computing' or 'if you had a decent moral foundation installed in the kid, this wouldn't be a concern to you'.

I'm going to guess that those folks have different basic assumptions about life, the universe, and many things than I do.

No comments: