Monday, April 14, 2008

Disconnected

Some disconnected observations:

There ought to be wireless access along major highways, accessible from moving vehicles. And, I bet there is software that automatically seeks out unlocked networks. I don't know how to find it, though, nor do I know if doing so makes you vulnerable to virii and such.

Seeing people whom you've known all your life having grandchildren makes you feel old. The grandchildren themselves can make you feel young, but their grandparents have the opposite effect.

Getting old and feeble really sucks. (Not me -- my mother. ) I honestly don't know, if I had to choose between that and death, which I'd choose. I imagine as I get older, I may feel differently.

If its possible (okay, feasible), I want to have our next van-type vehicle modded to include high-intensity gooseneck lighting for the passengers. I don't know how to get that done, either.

It'd be nice to have a good restaurant in this area. I was startled by how much I liked that little one where we had Italian food. Golly.

Fuel prices are scary. I know its going to get worse. I don't see anyone doing anything to help people without the resources to handle it. I wonder if its going to lead to the effective death of airlines. I would bet serious money it does NOT lead to electric cars, improved mass transit, including inter-city rail, and the like.

We just took a 1.1 mile walk and I hardly used the cane at all. Amazing what being distracted by a pretty woman can do for you.

Saw an article about how insurers are now charging co-pays that are proportionate to the cost of the drug, not a flat rate. That makes economic sense to me, because people tend to view insurance as a pool of money from which they can draw as if its their own, but it sucks from a human sense. Fortunately, most practicing economists and more insurers aren't human. At the corporate level, in the insurers' case.

Hillary is getting pretty irritating. I don't say that because I'm an Obama supporter, but because it's true. Her 'guns are great and so is religion' spiel sickens me. I know, this is the big leagues, if you can't take the heat get out of the kitchen, Obama's a big boy and can take care of himself; if not, he ought not to be in the running for the job. It still sickens me. It helps that the general take seems to be that its the politicians who are spitting at each other, but still -- grow up, you people! And knock off the pious crap, H!

Sometimes, when I contemplate taking a long drive, I wonder what it would cost to hire someone to do all the driving. I'd bet its pretty damned expensive. I'd also bet that its worthwhile. Rent one of those twenty-passenger buses with built in TVs and the like. Not that this drive to Nyawk and back was all that bad -- it was actually pretty painless. But still....

K, thats it for now.

No comments: