Saturday, April 12, 2008

Eating

I'm not a restaurant guy. It's extremely rare for me to like eating at a restaurant. Part of that is simply that I don't relish eating , as a rule; the concept of food as a ceremony, or a bonding opportunity -- the classic 'Italian family dinner', for example -- has passed me by. Its just food. I rarely have a meal where I leave it thinking 'Man, that was good', and when I do, its almost always something we've made ourselves.

Tonight was different. In fact, the restaurant we went to was so good, and the food so memorable, I remarked to my wife that I'd never move to a location just because of a local restaurant --- but for these people, I'd make an exception. Its an unassuming place -- the kind of place that you describe by saying 'it looks like a hole in the wall place' -- but they've got a phenomenal range of Italian foods. I had a small Pizza Margherita, with a thin crust, some basil on top, a tomato sauce, and I think I might have tasted some garlic, too. My wife had a gnochhi meal with a thick, chunky sauce. And for dessert, I had a light chocolate mousse cake, and she had something amazing -- a mango sorbet that was served in a mango skin -- remarkably fresh, remarkably tasty.

And all of this in Plainview, New York. Amazing.

2 comments:

Lone Chatelaine said...

Looks like a cool place. I love pizza like that. Looks like a good place to sit and have a glass of wine and talk with friends.

Cerulean Bill said...

It really was. Not all that big on 'atmosphere', but the food was excellent.