Sunday, February 10, 2008

Watershed

I was just reading an article about the statement made by the Attorney General to the effect that if Congress issued a contempt citation against a member of the presidents staff, commanding them to appear before Congress against the wishes of the president, the Department of Justice will not enforce the citation, since the person cannot do what the president wants not to be done.

I thought: (insert mildly scatological modifier), I wonder if the next president (assuming this one leaves on time) will have the guts to say that of course the DOJ enforces the law, regardless of the ideological implications. I know that there are laws that are selectively enforced, based on the desires of the president to push or retard certain concepts, but still: contempt of Congress? That'd seem to supercede that kind of political maneuver. So: would the next president instruct the DOJ to enforce that?

And the president I thought of, that might have such willingness , was Obama. Because I couldn't see Hillary doing it.

Damn. This may be a watershed moment.

No comments: