Thursday, February 14, 2008

Casual Observation

J'notice that people are now beginning to attribute all sorts of powers, abilities, insights, and just general magnificence to Obama?

I mean, I like the guy, and I support him for President, because I think he's bright, enthusiastic (if not downright idealistic), and he's not tied to the current power elite (that FISA vote is what did it for me), but I don't actually think things will get magically better once he takes the oath -- other than, of course, knowing that Jawge will be unemployed. Dick, too.

But other than that, I think that after a week or so, there's going to be some seriously disappointed people....

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I definitely agree.
There is only so much power that is in a President's hands, he can't just go storming into the castle cutting off the heads off all the stupid people and stupid legislation.
If elected I imagine that he will be a driving force, but he will not be able to change the world over night. Only people with absolute power can do that and last time I checked we do not have a monarchy, although I could be wrong that, gotta go see what Jawge is up to.

Cerulean Bill said...

My feeling is that the Bushman isn't trying for that, though if circumstances warrant he would reluctantly suspend the Constitution for the duration.

No lie, I just do not trust that guy, or his flunkies. I think others don't, either, which is why they're christening Obama the great hope of mankind. Though part of it is, they simply don't like where this country is, and have no faith that their current semi-elected leadership will get us out of it. To me, thats the real bear. You know that canard about a woman having to work twice as hard to be considered half as good? Any successor to Bush will have to work twice as hard just to get back to where we were before Bush arrived - and at that, people will undoubtedly say 'Is that all?'. Superman, Moses, and Captain Wonder combined would find it quite the challenge.

I was thinking about it last night. I don't blame Bush for 9/11 (I know that there are some who do), but I do blame him for coming into office with a surplus and leaving with the worst deficit we've ever seen - and little to show for it.