Sunday, February 03, 2008

Doin' The Festus

If you aren't familiar with American television, Festus (this guy) was a recurring character in the western action series Gunsmoke. He had a limp (never did learn why), so he wasn't in on all of the action, but he managed to get around pretty well. That's about where I am. This morning, around 11, I started to get an ache in my left leg, and realized that it was likely because, for pretty much the entire morning, I'd been walking around, crutchless. As soon as I walked a bit with the crutch, the ache went away. And now I haven't used it for the last two hours.

Three appointments at the therapist's this week, and I know there will be some pain involved -- we did a new exercise, and I had to grip the bed's edges to get enough umph to do even one -- but I also know that each time I do it, I get stronger. My goal is to be walking normally by the end of the month -- if not sooner; on the 14th, I go in for implant surgery at the oral surgeon's place. Let's hope that's a relatively painfree experience, even if I do end up eating just rice pudding and ice cream for a while.

Every so often, I kid with my wife that if (X) happens, by god, I'm heading for Canada. This morning, I found a cartoon that says it nicely, here. I don't know if I would; I suspect I'd be like the probably apocryphal story of the boiled frog, sitting here in rural Pennsylvania and wondering what's happening. One of the panels cites 'what if someone suggested postponing elections for the duration?', and you know, I do worry about that. Worrying would do me no good, and I'm not the sort of person to bunker down with my firearms, but I imagine others might already be digging in the back yard and having self-appointed militia drills. No lie, this scares me -- so like other things that scare me, I try not to think about it. I'll just think about the election. I mean, how bad could the result be?

The gingerbread is cooling. Someone seems to have taken the box of toothpicks, whose sole purpose for existing has been to be used to judge if a cake is 'done', so I had to swag it -- but I think its okay. My daughter has already informed me that she doesn't like gingerbread -- but perhaps actually seeing it might change her mind.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I was wondering when anyone would get around to remembering that Guliani suggested that he stay Mayor ("for continuity") after 9/11.

Immediately after that horrific day, he was more than willing to suspend democracy! Others had different ideas - the primaries went ahead, and the mayoral elections did, too.

Carolyn Ann

Cerulean Bill said...

You know, I had forgotten that. I was thinking more of his reputation before that day. I recall an ad for something on a bus which said 'About the only thing in New York that Rudy hasn't taken credit for'. He threatened to sue.

Naomi from IttyBiz said...

Come to Canada. We`d love to have you.