Thursday, February 28, 2008

Communication

One of the things that continues to perplex me is the ability of the current president to look into the land and see a completely different landscape than I do.

He continues to demand that a surveillance bill more to his liking must be passed, including the retroactive immunity of telecommunications companies for actions they took which were requested by the government, but which were illegal. He insists that failing to do this puts the country at risk. He also has a new twist on the immunity thing: he says that, after all, they were just doing what the government asked, and which the government said was legal. To open them to prosecution now would be 'unfair'.

I don't think the current president is completely wrong in this -- but I do think he's completely wrong in the part where he says that people shouldn't be held responsible. I'd even accept it if he'd say that the government was wrong in saying that it was legal, so don't blame the companies, blame them. But then, that would mean accepting a chain of responsibility that clearly ends up with him. I don't think he's too keen on that idea. I suppose he's already explored the idea of trying to pull the 'executive privilege' cloak around them.

I don't think anyone will say we aren't in danger. I just think he's willing to trash any law, stomp any dissent, in the service of his view of whats required to address that danger.

I'm also amazed by his ability to look at the economic state of the country and aver that, while things may not be totally fine, they're certainly not in a problem state. The announced intention of the Fed to drop interest rates yet again should in no way concern us. "We acted robustly", he said, speaking of his stimulus; so wipe your hands, clear your little minds, and go pass the bills that I demand. Okay, he didn't say that last part. But what would you like to bet that he thought it?

How many months till the October surprise?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

There's a principle in the Armed Forces that says you should never obey an illegal order. I guess the his lackeys decided that this actually didn't apply to civilians.

Oh well - at least he's on the side of freedom. I think. At least that's what he says. As his secret departments spy on us all. It's all for our own protection, don't you know?

Whatever happened to the Republican premise of "less government"?

Carolyn Ann

Cerulean Bill said...

Less government for HIM, CA. Not us.