Thursday, February 28, 2008

Conversation

I was surprised at the amount of discussion regarding that earlier post with the link to the Craigslist article.

Not that it was an overwhelming number -- about ten or twelve posts, I think, of which half were my responses -- but it was easily more than I normally get. And the subject! I knew that women had not only sexual urges, but unfulfilled ones (guys can't be the only ones with fantasies) , but that it might be common, not to mention, people I knew -- well, that surprised me. Not that anyone confessed anything -- just the concept at all. It reminded me of something I'd read years ago, to the effect that being in love with someone meant that every so often you'd say, surprised, You, too? And it made me wonder how often we want to tell our sexual partner touch me right there, or say this while you do that - but we don't, because we don't want to own up to it, for whatever reason -- we're ashamed, we think they'll refuse, or think less of us. And so we don't.

It brought to mind the idea that even in the age of the net, a lot of our lives are still hidden; sometimes because its just ours, and we've no desire to share it with someone else (or at least, not everybody else), and sometimes because its something we feel that we have to keep hidden -- not something thats flat out creepy or worse, but just private -- from a fascination with oral sex to a deep longing to stand in the Parthenon by moonlight. Or even a deep longing to have oral sex in the Parthenon by moonlight!

Quite illuminating.

2 comments:

Lone Chatelaine said...

Any partner I eventually settle with will have to just get used to me being very vocal about sex and during sex. I don't think I have that privacy or shy gene in the bedroom. I'm going to say what I like and I'll expect it to happen. And I expect the same from him.

Parthenon, huh?...Good stuff :)

Cerulean Bill said...

I think thats reasonable. Admirable, even. But if you're in the next room at the Parthenon Hotel, and I hear 'OH MY GOD, THE CHANDELIER'... I'm calling the front desk.