Friday, February 08, 2008

Extreme Baking

I've mentioned that I like to bake. This week, I'm getting my fill.

Four days ago, I made gingerbread. (Zapped in the microwave, with whipped cream, yum.) Three days ago, I made Butterscotch Oatmeal bars (recipe below) for my wife to bring in to her office. Pretty good, even if I did, ahem, forget to put in the vanilla. Two days ago I made some chocolate chip cookies to give to the woman who's my primary therapist; she'd said she had no luck with chocolate chip cookies, and I told her I'd give her a decent recipe... and as long as I had it out.... Today I made brownies for my daughter to bring to color guard practice (its her birthday). And tomorrow, I'm making a devils food cake for her small birthday party on Sunday.

Whew!

Butterscotch Oatmeal Bars

1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup white sugar
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla or grated peel of one orange
3 cups quick cooking oats
2 cups butterscotch chips

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
2. Grease 15 x 10 inch pan
3. Combine flour, baking soda, and cinnamon in small bowl.
4. Beat butter, vanilla/peel, sugars, eggs in large bowl.
5. Gradually beat in flour mixture.
6. Stir in oats and butterscotch chips.
7. Spread dough into greased 15 x 10 inch pan.
8. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until very lightly browned

No comments: