Thursday, February 21, 2008

Search Them

Every so often you read of someone who wants to topple Google from the summit of search. Usually, its someone with a different interface, or a different display. Sometimes, its a natural language search engine "Show me all of the shoe repair stores in San Francisco" rather than " 'shoe repair' 'san francisco' "; sometimes its a different grouping of the data, or a different visual aid. Occasionally, its enhancement of the request, or memory of what's been asked in the past. Sometimes, its obvious, even to me; sometimes its bizarre. It's always creative. Everyone's looking for that magic key.

I've no idea who will succeed, or what their gimmick will be. I'm just still amazed at how well it works now. Just now, I was watching a DVD of 'Die Another Day', and came to the scene where Bond is walking along the waterfront in Havana. Gee, I thought, I wonder if they actually went to Havana? Or even Cuba? I switched to Google, entered " 'Die Another Day' Havana " -- and got my answer.

No, they didn't.

No comments: