Tuesday, February 26, 2008

SAHB, Sahib?

I occasionally think about working for IBM again, because, overall, I liked it.

Most of the time, the things that I didn't like about IBM weren't too intrusive, and, like walking with a pebble in your shoe, I got used to it -- got used to lying on the time sheet (lying? not really -- but essentially, yes), dealing with people who were both obsessive and paranoid about security (a great trait to have in the people who handle security for you, not so wonderful when your employer wants you to have it, too), having people come around every so often to check that you're in conformance with the way we do business -- all of that. It was just part of the environment, and you lived with it. After all, they paid well. Okay, fairly well. And they had some very bright people doing really interesting things, even if not where I worked. They were there, and I liked being part of that.

But its been three quarters of a year, and I've not had to deal with a single bit of it -- especially not the LEAN initiative, which is what got me and several thousand others terminated, and which is, to my astonishment, still going on. I would have thought intelligence would have returned by now, but perhaps, despite all that its done to stomp on morale, it really is effective -- or maybe just cheaper. I realized, looking at the note from my friend (who is, herself, trying to get out of there; she's afraid that the local manager will attempt to block the transfer) -- I realized that You know, being laid off isn't the end of the world. I'd still work there again, because I do like IBM, do like helping people fix their problems, do what they want to be able to do. Mostly, I liked being able to say I work for IBM.

But you know what? Being a Stay At Home Baker - isn't all that bad, either.

6 comments:

Lone Chatelaine said...

"...the way we do business."

That sounds exactly like the company I work for. I can just see the break room posters now.

Cerulean Bill said...

Those would be the ones that list in numbing detail the legal requirements for working there? Right next to the ones advertising workplace safety, and how important it was to live a healthy life?

I did like it there. I like being part of something I can believe in, and they provided that. Even knowing what I know about the downsides of the corporate culture, I'd go back, if they'd have me. Neither of which seems likely to happen.

Chocolate chip cookies, anyone?

Lone Chatelaine said...

Yep, I see we have the same posters. I don't get to see them so much anymore now that I mostly telecommute. I do like being able to take meetings and conference calls in my jammies and yoga clothing :)

Corporations are a love/hate thing with me. I love the job and money they give me, but the politics and outsourcing to other countries that they are involved in make me sick. My company is a huge offender of outsourcing customer service to India, Taiwan, etc.

I'd love a chocolate chip cookie to dip in my coffee :)

Cerulean Bill said...

If I could, LC, I would.

I think that the probability of liking a large company is in direct proportion to how much they need you.

I find it hard to believe that you did not get a personal set of the posters to place around your work at home area. I actually heard an auditor once muse that he'd like to be able to audit those environments, too. He was kidding... I think.

Unknown said...

When I set up a telecommuting initiative (in the mid-90's) my boss, who was a maniac for control, wanted everything set up "just so" in the person's Home Office. Furniture, as well. So I wouldn't have been particularly surprised if he'd included the posters, as well. (He was quite concerned that some might work in their pajamas!)

I must admit that I lost any sense of loyalty to "The Corporation" a long time ago. When they lay off thousands at a go - and then ask for your loyalty? Not gonna happen.

I can say I was proud to work at a few places; although I usually rapidly add "but they different then!" Mostly, I'm just proud of my accomplishments. One company kept asking me back - and I kept turning them down. They'd become very corporate, and had lost their sense of adventure.

I started woodworking after being laid off, and although the money wasn't as good- the intangibles were incredible! I'm not sure what I'll be doing in the latter half of this year, but I do know it won't include a corporate paycheck! Unless they're paying my invoice. :-)

Carolyn Ann

Cerulean Bill said...

Gee, CA,I like your attitude. I think I share some of it -- though my woodworking abilities consist of the knowledge of how to take a mighty oak and, with time, effort, and care, end up with a quite imposing pile of sawdust.