Tuesday, February 12, 2008

The Day

There are days that are magical.... and days that aren't.

My daughter got a genuine snow day - magical.
She's outside shoveling - not so magical for her.
But I can't - magical for me.

My general dentist called to say he needed me to come in so that he could make a device that he's had, oh, a year or so to make, three days now before the surgery where its needed -- not so magical.
But at least the implant day is almost here - magical.

My oral surgeon called to say that because they couldn't guarantee that the device would be around when they need it, he is cancelling the appointment - not so magical.
But -- well, no. Not magical.

I decided to try baking another cake -- magical.
My daughter flicked on the oven light to look at it, and in the process, turned off the timer -- not so magical.

I still can't lie on my right side and lift my left leg more than a skosh -- and that, only after much grunting and straining. Definitely not magical.
I found an exercise that targets the gluteus medius muscle, which is the primary mover, pun intended, for that action. Somewhat magical.

The crew from the contractor we want to remodel the bathroom came and we talked about what we want - magical.
The rough price is about 60% higher than we thought - not so magical.

I saw a news article about the vote which would allow telecoms to evade responsibility for aiding spying on us -- not so magical.
It helped me decide who to support in the primary - very magical.

Could be worse, I guess!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Magic!

And one of my favorite episodes of "West Wing" is the one with Penn & Teller. (We've seen them twice - once in New York, and once in Vegas.) Magical. :-)

Hey - keep feeling better. :-)

Carolyn Ann

SusieJ said...

Too bad about the cake -- but I like how you laid out your day... Magical is a good word.

Cerulean Bill said...

With the 'flag burning' -- I remember that. I also remember feeling a bit queasy about the concept -- thinking about 'how would an actual white house handle that?', I thought that the reaction was pretty plausible. In fact, I thought about it so much, I had to STOP myself from thinking about it.

And yes, magic is a good word. We need more of it, these days. Oh, look, Dick Cheney's turned into a rabbit!