Thursday, February 07, 2008

Early AM

It's that time of the night when you can make a case for it being pretty early, or pretty late.

Once again, I'm having trouble sleeping. This is one of the bad nights. A good one is when I'm only awake for an hour or so, and sometimes I don't even get out of bed. A bad one is like this -- hours go by, and I've no physical compulsion to sleep. An emotional one, yes, but that doesn't seem to be enough to convince my body to Power down, already! Instead, my consciousness is saying Hey, lets go see if we've gotten any more responses from the blog, and lets poke around in Feed Demon for a while, or Stumble Upon, just to see whats happening. Argh. We had some heavy rain there for a while, and I had hopes that that would hang around for a while. I find that if it's raining, the sound is usually enough to put me to sleep, and, of course, the cool air that accompanies it helps, too. Not this time. It stopped about ten minutes after we went to bed. Thats another source of irritation -- the sheets we've got on there are profoundly wrinkled, and they have a kind of weird texture, almost as if they have a light coating of plastic on them. My wife washed them right after she got them, but now she's thinking that she might want to wash the hell out of them, which sounds about right to me.

I've been exchanging the occasional note with the fellow who owns the Obama web site that I mentioned earlier. He's pretty easy going -- there isn't anything particularly dogmatic about what he writes. A little boosterism for Obama, but thats about it. I have to say, I'm beginning to get a little apprehensive about all of this, as Clinton isn't doing as well as I thought she would. I know that there are other primaries coming (hey, Pennsylvania may actually make a difference!), but still, you'd like to have it locked up by now -- strategically, so that the annointed candidate could begin to campaign in earnest. The Democratic convention isn't until August, I think, which sure doesn't leave a lot of time for campaigning when the election is in November. At this point, I'm willing to say fine, Obama/Clinton, let's go -- which I would imagine is not Hillary's view at all. A web site I was reading (Buzz Machine) said that relative to Obama's style, he was afraid that it would be a 'well meaning incompetent rather than the second coming of the Kennedys'. I certainly do not want the second coming of any political dynasty; thats all we need. But the 'well meaning incompetent' does strike a bell. One of the things that impressed me about Richardson was the things that he had done. What's Obama done? I really want to believe he's up to the weight, but so far all I hear is 'You gotta believe....' . The last time I heard that kind of thing, Bush got elected. At least, technically. Not to say that Obama doesn't have great ideas -- he does, lots of them. (See: www.barackobama.com/issues; The Blueprint for Change) Its the execution I wonder about.

By the way, I'd recommend reading all of the comments to that Buzz Machine post. They make points for and against both sides. They're not always fair points, but they say things that I hadn't heard. I personally switched sides three times while reading... and I'm wavering about the fourth.

No comments: