Thursday, February 14, 2008

Surprise

I had a bit of a surprise, yesterday.

I've been answering questions on the Yahoo Answers forum. I have no idea if I will ever actually get anything out of it, but I enjoy it -- when I can, I just answer; when I can't, and the question sounds interesting, I look it up, and I learn something. But the question yesterday was not one you can look up. It was a girl who said she was twelve, and pregnant. She said she'd been raped by her brother's boyfriend, hated the whole experience, and had initially just wanted to die. She was looking for advice as to what to do, saying that she didn't want to have an abortion, but also felt she was too young to raise a child.

I put a lot of thought into that response.

4 comments:

Rach said...

Wow .. 12?
I would have opted to run instead of answer that question. I bet your words gave her some comfort and help in deciding what to do.

Cerulean Bill said...

To be honest, I wasn't sure if this was a real person, but I didn't want to take the chance that it was not. So, I treated it as if it were the daughter of someone I knew... I hope it helped. If you're in that predicament, and you have to resort to a public forum for help, its pretty sad.

Faye said...

Yikes....that IS young. Poor thing to have such a traumatic thing happen and then to even consider taking the baby to full term! It's sad to think that little girl has to make such a huge decision.

Cerulean Bill said...

I was going to try to link to that question, but couldn't remember details-- and if you search on Yahoo Answers for 'pregnant abortion 12' or similar, you get *multiple* hits...